(Versione in italiano qui)
While my friend Monica is finding any possible excuse in the world to postpone our next cycling ride, I thought, in the meantime, to take the opportunity to share with you something different, but always linked to the cycling world.
I really like when I get the chance to be creative with my two little girls. I love arts and crafts and baking cakes and cookies with them. I love to see the joy and enthusiasm in their eyes !
Here come a recipe for something delicious for my husband, who is a big big fan of cycling!
Bicycle-shaped cookies with custard cream and berries
We used the Thermomix , so I’ll put both the recipes – with the Thermomix and with the traditional method – Before you begin, though, let me remind you, if you are going to use frozen berries, to remove them from the freezer and put them to drain.
Let’s start !
Ingredients for cookies:
125 gms soften butter
100 gms caster sugar
2 medium eggs
400 gms plain Flour
½ a bag of vanillin
½ teaspoon of baking powder
Just a little bit of salt
zest of ½ lemon
With the Thermomix
1) place strips of lemon zest in the Thermomix bowl. Process for 20 seconds , speed 9.
2) Add in all the other ingredients – 30 sec. , speed 7
Empty the bow and place the mixture onto a table and roll it. I usually divide the dough in two parts so that both my daughters can have fun at the same time. Then wrap the doughin cling film and rest in the refrigerator for about one hour.
Place all ingredients on a counter and knead well until the dough has a smooth texture and gets firm. Wrap in a cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
( pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees)
1 ) Coat the baking tray with wet parchment paper
2) Take the dough from the fridge and I put on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into small pieces and flatten them with your hands, to around half a centimeter thick.
3) Use your cookie cutters. ( for the wheels of the bike, we used a circle cookie cutter, for the other parts of the bike, we used an umbrella-shaped cookie cutter; we used only the part of the handle and with then used our hands to find make other shapes according to our needs).
4) Place the cookies on the baking tray
5) Bake until their browning at 180 °
CUSTARD CREAM RECIPE
500 g of whole Milk
100 g of white Sugar
60 g of Flour
1 Untreated Lemon Peel
1 small bag of Vanillin
with the Thermomix:
Place the lemon peel and the sugar in the mixing bowl 20 Sec. Speed 9
Add in the other ingredients 8 Min. 90°C Speed 4
Traditional Method :
In a medium saucepan heat the milk to just below boiling point.
Peel yellow skin from lemon and grate
In another saucepan mix together the eggs, sugar and flour to get a smooth paste. (I used an electric mixer, but if you are the Bionic woman, hands are fine)
Add the Vanillin
Slowly pour over the hot milk and stir well, cconstantly, with a wooden spoon. Cook until the custard thickens. When the cream is ready, pour into a bowl and cover with grin film, let it cool down to room temperature.
When both the cookies and the custard cream cooled down enough, you can start decorating them!Top the cookies with the custard cream and then with the berries.
With the remaining dough we made more cookies , putting the dough in the oven in molds in the shape of heart , but hearts are off topic ! 😉